Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Saturday 12 March 2011

Christmas Quiltalong! March, pt3

Mum's sewing machine feels really odd after the ol' F&R machine that I've done the previous blocks & my project 1 on, but none the worse for that.

Bit of an irritating habit of unthreading itself at the off, but that's only because I'm not used to how much thread to have through the needle to start with.

In fact the take-up is really smooth - no humming as you put your foot on the peddle before bursting into life with a great gallop.

So I have a great pile of half square triangles pieced and cut - now I need to trim them before putting the sewing the whole lot together...

I've come down for a fortifying yuletide sherry!

4 comments:

  1. I have never tasted sherry so I will pass on doing that. I am not a wine drinker & I think it must taste a bit like a heavy red wine. Keep sewing on your Christmas project! See you later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To prevent the unthreading problem, use a scrap of fabric, start sewing on that then chain piece to the end and sew onto another scrap. Cut all the pieces. leaving the final piece under the foot, so it then becomes the leader for your nect piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! Looks like you have a great start going today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Similar, Karen - but sweeter. It has a reputation (at least here in the UK) for being a one for vicars and elderly ladies! It's often not counted as a 'proper' drink and can be enjoyed as an aperitif before Sunday lunch, despite being quite alcoholic (not as strong as spirits, though).

    Brilliant tip, Sue (as ever!) and one which has made today's piecing so much easier - thank you!

    Hi Reenie - thanks for stopping by! My great start slowed down yesterday, but I'm pleased with this month's stars - eventually!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...