Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Wednesday 23 March 2011

Project 3 - Cutting!

Having been sternly warned of the difficulties of cutting fabric on the diagonal, and how the resultant triangles can go all stretchy if not handled with respect, I have invested 98p in a can of spray starch & have liberally applied to each side of the fabric tubes & pressed them with a dry iron them such that they are stiffer than the board.

I then took the ruler, measured the first triangle (quite a lot of times!), took a deep breath and sliced the fabric tube up to give eight triangles.

Then I had to go and have a sit down - there is a distinct lack of room for error here (unless I wish my garden trellis quilt to consist of 79 and not 80 small squares...)

I cut the triangles from the second tube, then very gingerly opened them out and pressed them flat.

Then I couldn't resist a little play - the contrast might not be all there, but this is going to be so Spring-like, it's not true - I love it!

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. It looks perfect. You must be happy with your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heyy, that looks great. Well worth all the scarey times? It is really soft and summery looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, girls - I am delighted with how this is turning out!

    I think that with the mats and runners (Project 1) I was concentrating so hard on the method that the design bit took a back seat - I'm relaxing into this more (scarey stretchy squares and irritatingly poor instrucions aside!) and enjoying it no end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whhhoo hoo, you are really steaming ahead with this one.

    Depending upon how you arrange things, I see the potential for some "squares" made of the deep blue ..... might be interesting to have 2 or 3 of them "floating around the top?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...