Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Thursday 28 July 2011

Home Straight!

I have finished quilting Spring Garden Trellis! Hurrah!

That's 20 flower motifs, 12 small circles, 18 pairs of leaves around the borders and 4 mini flowers in the corners. Of course, it has taken forever and a day, but I have enjoyed the journey immensely, and will not hesitate to embark on the next project with gusto.

All that remains to be done here, is to apply the binding. I did some sums, and I have enough of either the incredible shrinking cream fabric, or the dark yellow which is moonlighting in the Scatty Christmas Stars quilt, so which to choose?

Here is where Bilbo - as so often - is absolutely spot on with regard to quilting advice. She said,"As for binding, think of it as a picture frame. With that in mind the decision will make itself (probably!)"

Which it has without a doubt - laying out the trimmed quilt against both fabrics and it is obvious to me that it is the yellow option all the way.

I've just got to remember the binding lessons that I have learnt - for a start, I'll have to go back and check what width to cut the binding strips...

3 comments:

  1. I think the yellow is perfect as it takes the eye out from the inner border so you can notice the border quilting too. All too often I think people just bind in the same fabric as the border, which is right sometimes, but in a quilt like yours I think I'd be left wondering when and where the edge was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have chosen the yellow too, but I didn't want to say so until you had made your decision.

    Ditto everything Sue said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yellow 'balances' somehow, I think girls - and I'm pleased with how it looks now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...