Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Sunday 14 August 2011

Christmas Quiltalong! August, pt4

I couldn't resist a quick half hour at the machine before bedtime (now rather overdue) - so I finished piecing the strips and cutting them into rail fence blocks.

I think that it looks rather austere, but I have a flame red fabric for the thin border, which I hope will give the design a lift and if I have enough, I could use the flame red for the binding too.

Talking of designs, one of the pleasures for me of these monthly quiltalong days has been to see what everyone else around the world is up to which I've not managed to do properly this time round - so tomorrow I will be sure to catch up.

Is is just me who is still astounded by the fact that there are people thousands of miles apart who have totally different lives, situations and cultures who are sitting down at the same time to produce a dozen variations on the same quilt design?

6 comments:

  1. Yes, it is amazing. And my family seems pretty impressed, too, that I even "know" people from around the world. I'm sure the bright red border will give it that pop you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rail fense blocks really make the stars look different. I've loved every version of the design tha I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great all laid out. I think I'd reserve judgement on the flame red until the blocks are sewn together. Then you can audition it and get a better idea of what you want. Another option might be a green inner border, red outer and green again for the binding?

    I agree too with what you say about the internet. I love that we can all be in different countries, yet working on the same thing at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the lighter stars with the rail setting. They seem to 'shine'. I love working these kids of projects and seeing the interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My reservations on the colourway now articulated in the next post, girls!

    I agree, Sue - it's much easier to see what's what when you have it all laid out in front of you!

    It's been a real education to see all the different takes on this design, Sharon, particularly as a new quilter who is still getting used to colourways, fabric 'values', and patterns. I hope that Sue & Cathi do a 'gallery' to show off all the quilts at the end!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...