Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Monday 22 August 2011

Difficult Decisions...

I've decided that a cream thread would be much easier on the eye for quilting this particular quilt - as this is my first go at free machine quilting, having such a striking thread - although beautiful - is rather unforgiving for the novice!

Over to Hobbycraft later, and an evening of unpicking ahead, I think....

What a shame that I couldn't press on - there's rather a good reason that I had hoped to be able to get this finished for Wednesday...

5 comments:

  1. Hazel m'dear, don't know if you will read this in time. If possible, unpick from the back. That way, if you snag your fabric it's the backing where it won't show rather than the quilt top.

    More power to you for being brave enough to say "this isn't working" and putting in the time to change it. You could be living with this quilt for 10 - 15 years or more, so a few hours now is time well spent rather than hating it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do not know what a bad mood I am in right now given I have spent a cramped hour or so with a good light unpicking the quilting (yes, from the back - see, I do listen to advice!)and there is plenty more to do...

    I did have a nice wander round HC though, and have a good alternative quilting thread. I was sorry to have to turn my back on the varigated threads which I adore, but chose a no-nonsense cream instead.

    There were a great many glimpses yesterday of how the quilting could/should be, but I would never have been happy with the result if I had just ploughed on regardless - tempting as that option seems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, poor you. Know exactly what that particular cricked neck and stiff shoulders feels like.

    If you want a laugh, have a look at this post of MO's.
    http://asmallholding.blogspot.com/2011/08/its-nearly-that-time-again.html

    She's an "Ollie friend" and has a black lab who could probably have given Ollie a good run for his money in the "thinking things through, working it out and being a right little Toe-rag" stakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's any consolation, I think you've made the right decision. If you're not happy with it now, you won't be when it's finished either. We've all been there too. Just go to my post of Tuesday 26 May 2009 to see my proof.

    23 August 2011 08:15

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...