Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Good News and A Right Pain!

I'll start with the good news - It is the start of Sue's 'Pick Four' blog hop tomorrow, for which I am ..... drum roll.... the first blogger - I am so excited!

I also gave the sewing machine a bit of a going over earlier with a brush, and a dot of oil here and there in accordance with the manual and it is now purring along smooth as anything - hurrah!

And the bad news is that I have spent a second evening undoing all the quilting that I did on Sunday evening AND I haven't finished. How come it only took an hour or so to do, and this long to undo?

6 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your post tomorrow! My first visit here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's a rule of thumb involved here with un-sewing. Something about 5 mins of quilting takes 5 hour to unquilt! Can't remember the exact numbers, but I think it was Bilbo who told me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may well have been Bilbo who said something like that Sue, although there were probably expletives involved at the time.

    If it is any consolation Hazel, I once unpicked longarm quilting from an area about 90" wide and 36" deep ....... If you think you can do a lot of stitching in an hour, just think how much more trouble I can get into in the same amount of time with the big machine .....

    Glad your sewing machine sounds happier now you have given it some TLC, think how much MORE of an improvement you would get from a proper service?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see you, Mary - what an exciting ten days ahead!

    Yes, Sue, and as Bilbo says, lots of v bad language obligitary too!

    Ouch, Bilbo - that is one heck of an unpicking achievement! The only thing that you had going for you is that at least your stitches will have been even - trying to unpick the areas on mine where the needle has been up and down a hundred times in the space of an eighth of an inch has been a bit trying - novice quilters, eh? I knew that you were going to say that about the machine! Not ruling out professional service, but I must say that I am astonished that difference that even my cleaning efforts have made! Can't wait to have another go at FMQ now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're brave to be tackling free motion quilting if you are just a beginner. Thread and fabric choices can have an impact on free motion quilting, so hang in there and you'll get the knack of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy piecing my quilt backs, and when I have a "leftover", like with Stepping Stones, that's where it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...