Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Border Fabric Decisions

I took a very deep breath and held my nerve with the cutter yesterday evening, and trimmed Scatty Stars into a rectangle. Phew!

And now comes another tricky bit - choosing the border fabric. I'm closer to a decision than it looks from the picture here, as I have mentally dismissed some of these, but I still have to make my mind up.

Hmm.

In other news, as they say, I'm plodding on with sewing the binding on to the quilt from Sue's Pick Four.

A very enjoyable sitting-in-front-of-the-TV job - lovely.

4 comments:

  1. Looking fabulous kiddo, well done, pats on the back and all!

    Will stick my tuppence worth in on your border choices. I've always believed that the border fabrics should be more of something that is already in the quilt. Introducing a new fabric into a border always looks (to me) as if you needed to make the pieced centre bigger and just "bunged something" around the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bilbo, and my borders are almost always the same as something in the centre of the quilt. The one real exception is when I want to put a narrow border in first, then I sometimes use a totally different colour as a contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, my turn ladies. :-) I vote for the gray for the border as it will pull the your eyes back to the stars; as there is a bit of a competition between those dark strips of the rail fence and the stars going on right now and the grey will neutralize that. Then use cornerstones in your border and get the pretty pink in that way. Then if you have enough of it go with that dark greenish gray in the upper left for the binding. Depending on your border size under 3.5" go with that if and it's bigger, more like 6" consider piecing four blocks for the cornerstones like Sue did with hers, even something simple like setting a yellow square on point with the pink background would look nice. It's going to be lovely no matter what you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...