Before disappearing off on holiday, I treated myself to a Kindle (which did rather revolutionise my packing - no books!) but rather baulked at the outrageous cost of a case - nearly half as much again as the thing itself.
But a cover or case of some sort was essential to guard against damage occasioned from dropping onto the tiles around the pool/into the sand on the beach/suncreamy finger marks etc etc, so I knocked this up beforehand.
It's a fabric sleeve with cardboard fillets (and a sponge insert on the screen side) kept in place with a couple of rows of 'divider' stitching. The Kindle is in a plastic sleeve, and sticky Velcro dots attach that to Velcro strips inside the back of the cover, then Velcro to fasten. It worked really well.
By chance, a couple of days after I got back, Dave Next Door called round clutching his new laptop and said, 'Um.' When someone says that, they want something.
'What is it?', I asked.
'Um. Are you any good with a sewing machine? There's only a temporary soft cover supplied with this, and it's not very robust, so I was wondering if some sort of pillowcase or something could be rigged up as a carry case...?'
'Of course, leave it with me.'
I consulted about design and techniques with colleague Rita, who next day brought in a length of manly pinstripe fabric, some very thin wadding, an odd colour brown canvas-weight cotton & a length of Velcro. Then it was just a case of putting it all together.
I took it round to much astonished praise from the Next Doors, and received appropriate and very satisfactory remuneration.
Glad to be of service, sir.
All this doesn't get the borders on Scatty Stars, of course, or it sandwiched, quilted and bound, but there you go.
Happy Tulips - This pattern is making the rounds of blogland. Fabri-Quilt has the pattern on their blog, Inspired by Fabric, and it looks great in all of the versions...
2 days ago