Having been given a jelly roll and a quilting book for Christmas 2010, there is no excuse not to get on with quiltmaking.

Here's what happened next...



Pages

Thursday 19 January 2012

The Best Laid Plans...

The last few days I have been practising my FMQ.

I was very tempted to go for an all over meander for Mum's Quilt, like I did on Sure Steps, but I felt that the blocks would stand 'bringing out' with something else up the sashing and borders.

In fact, I had a plan to quilt a line of 'cinnamen whirls' up the blocks (there's got to be a proper name for these!) and then feathers all the way up the red sashing and borders - maybe slightly wavy like Trudi did here.

Then I actually had a go - and I now see that I will not be doing that. The cinnamen whirls look - well like you see on a dog walker's route when the dogwalker hasn't got any poop bags on them, if you know what I mean.





And the feathers - oh dear - as you can see here, these are for advanced quilter only!






Plan B, then, is quilt a big daisy in each block (with these little three petal jobs in the cream block borders).








Then a daisy chain like this up the red sashing and borders.

I can do those.

8 comments:

  1. I think they all look pretty darn good. However, those daises are just too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You like jumping in at the deep end of the pool, don't you? I love the daisies. Loops look really nice and are very do-able. Have fun practising your FMQ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the daisies look good but so will the feathers when you practise, practise, practise.

    Your brain KNOWS how to draw daisies, you've probably been doodling them since you were 5. How long have you been doodling feathers? 30 minutes? an hour?

    Get a ream of cheap paper, or use an old phone book. Get a nice felt pen that makes a good line without you having to press hard. Draw, draw, draw, draw. When you;ve done that, draw, draw, draw some more

    Teach your brain and arms the route you need to take, make "muscle memory".

    You will learn which direction to go, what sort of feathers you like. Trust me, it is the only way (and much easier to PPP on paper than fabric). I have probably drawn 10 miles of feathers over the years and they're now a heck of a lot easier to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not one to talk really, as I've never even tried to FMQ feathers, but everything I've ever read says practice, practice, practice first. Having said all that I think daisies will look great, and I love your daisy chains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good advice from Bilbo. However, if you want a shortcut, draw the designs on baking parchment (with a felt-tip pen) and then stitch through them and your quilt. Do a test first, just pin the design to a quilt sample with safety pins and go for it. You've already got the hang of maneuvering your quilt smoothly with the free-motioning you've done before. I do all my quilting this way. I do like your daisy chain though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue's right the key to feathers is practice, and to ensure you don't want to throw your quilting away, quilt your feathers in the same color thread top and bottom and match it to the sashing color so no one can see the boo-boos.

    I adore your daisies though, they look great. You must have some really fancy dogs out your way if they poo like those quilted honeybuns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for both your kind comments and your extremely helpful advice, girls! Don'cha just love blogger!

    I was v pleased with the daisies, Mrs P - and surprised that a doodle turned out so well.

    You are quite right about doodling daisies since I was about 5, Bilbo - I'm not a doodler at heart, but if I do, it's daisies all the way (and holly leaves, funnily enough - must remember that for Christmas projects!). I can see how repetition can create 'muscle memory' too. It's all about practice as you all say!

    Good idea on the baking paper, Ali - it means that I could trace a design then pin & stitch. Hmm. Food for thought there! I've made use of the air pen for drawing direct onto the practice piece, and that works too. As long as I get a move on with the sewing!

    Now for once I am ahead of you there with the thread, S&S - I'll be using a varigated red for the top for the daisy chains on the red sashing, so it will hardly show, and cream (same brand cotton quilting thread) for the bobbin. The reverse is cream, and although this won't be a reversible quilt, the red would stick out like a sore thumb for all to see - warts & all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...